|Ready to run in Pittsburgh last Fall for the EQT 10-miler.|
Friday, September 5, 2014
Fall Friday Five
I don't typically post a "Five things Friday" on my blog, but it seemed appropriate today, what with today being not only Friday, but also the 5th, and the foundation of my favorite season - Fall! I don't believe in ushering seasons in months before they arrive (Christmas section at Macy's, I'm looking at you), but school's in and we're just two weeks away from the fall equinox. I'm ready to celebrate five things about this impending autumn.
1. Last week, I deferred my registration for the 2014 Marine Corps Marathon. It was a difficult decision and one that initially felt disappointing more than celebratory. Yet in the wake of mourning this marathon, I'm excited to focus more on shorter races. My speed has plateaued lately, and I hope that focusing on shorter distances will lead me to some new PRs. 10K, 10 miler, and half marathon, I'm mostly looking at you here.
2. Next weekend is the Erie Half Marathon. Most of my recent races have been through some sort of city streets, whether Pittsburgh, DC, or Disney's Main Street USA. I'm thrilled to tackle 13.1 in picturesque Presque Isle State Park along the beaches of the lake.
3. Speaking of Disney, Rebel Challenge training starts on September 16th! I'm loosely following the Jeff Galloway training calendar as published on the RunDisney website. More details to come, but I'm planning on drawing from both the Rebel Challenge training plan and the Half Marathon Time Improvement plan. Maybe I'll even complete a run in less than 12 parsecs!
4. When I'm not out working or working out, I'm halfway through reading Laura Hildebrand's book Unbroken. If you aren't familiar, it's the true story of an Olympic runner turned World War 2 airman who encounters some impossible-seeming survival scenarios. It's fascinating thus far, and also is being released this Christmas as a movie. (Bonus, the screenplay was written by two of my favorite creative Hollywood minds, Joel and Ethan Coen.)
5. Things to look forward to? Apple has announced their next media event will be on September 9. While I have no idea what they'll be announcing, I'm a huge fan of utilizing iPhones, wearable activity trackers, apps, headphones, and other gadgets during my runs. I can't wait to see what's next!
Let's hear it for Autumn! Who else is looking forward to something new this Fall?